That fog that residents of the Ocean Beach area love so much, that cool gray blanket that soothes coastal areas while the rest of California crisps in the summer sun? It’s full of toxic mercury. That’s the finding of a new study from the University of California, Santa Cruz. The New York Times’ Green blog reports that the study discovered methyl mercury, a particularly toxic form of the metal, in levels five times greater than the highest level ever measured in rainwater. The level of mercury carried inland by coastal California fog wasn’t what scientists expected to find. But the amount is still tiny, compared to levels considered safe to eat in fish
  1. tedr posted this